Health Information and Tools > Health A-Z >  Advance Care Planning: Other Places to Get Help

Main Content

Advance Care Planning

Other Places to Get Help

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Office of the Public Guardian
The Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) supports people who need help to make, or who aren’t able to mak​​e personal decisions for themselves (that aren’t financial).

Personal Directive
A personal directive provides instruction for future medical care and indentifies an agent to make personal decisions if needed.

Enduring Powers of Attorney
Learn about this legal document you can use to appoint someone to make financial and legal decisions on your behalf.

Plan Well Guide
To prepare for Goals of Care Designation conversations with your family and family doctor, use this Alberta based online tool to clarify your values and increase your understanding of the difference between resuscitative care, medical care, and comfort care.

To learn more about the risks, benefits and possible outcomes of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and help you decide if its right for you, watch CPR Decision Aid (video).

Speak Up
This website helps all Canadians think about and talk about the kind of health and personal care they would want in the future if they were unable to speak for themselves. It means having discussions with family and friends, especially your Substitute Decision Maker – the person who will speak for you if you cannot speak for yourself. It may also include writing down your wishes, and talking with healthcare providers and financial or legal professionals.

Organ and Tissue Donation
Organ and Tissue Donation is an end of life care option and an important part of Advance Care Planning. The gift of donation is a legacy of your life and may give hope to someone in need.

Current as of: April 2, 2018

Author: Palliative and End of Life Care Team, Alberta Health Services