Health Information and Tools >  Quitting Smoking: Learning about where to get help in Alberta

Main Content

Quitting Smoking: Learning about where to get help in Alberta

Quitting Smoking

Learning about where to get help in Alberta

You've made a big decision to stop using tobacco or smoking.

You probably know quitting is hard. Maybe you've quit before. That's normal—most people quit many times. What can you do this time to help you stop for good?

Choosing to make a change for yourself doesn’t mean you have to quit alone. Support comes in many forms. It can be positive words and actions, helpful tips, or gentle reminders to stay on track. But remember that before anybody can help you stop using tobacco or smoking, you have to ask for help.

Here are some options to support you on your journey.

Phone support

The AlbertaQuits helpline is free in Alberta. Call 1-866-710-7848 to get confidential support from quit counsellors. They won’t judge you and will help you deal with cravings and stay motivated. The helpline is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and translation services are available.

Text support

AlbertaQuits has a free 3-month text messaging program for people who are ready to set a quit date in the next 30 days or have recently quit. It sends you motivational messages, advice, and tips. It also has support for quitting vaping, a live chat feature with quit counsellors, and on-demand support for times you might need help with a craving or coping with stress. Text the word ABQUITS to the number 123456 to register.

Group support

QuitCore is a free group support program for Albertans 18 years and older. It gives you the tools and skills you need to quit using tobacco. As a part of Quitcore, you’ll join 6, 90-minute sessions guided by a trained facilitator. Sessions may be in person or online. Call the AlbertaQuits helpline at 1-866-710-7848 to join Quitcore.

Counselling support

Your healthcare provider may offer personal counselling to help you stop smoking. Visit your local pharmacy or call your doctor to find out.

You can call the AlbertaQuits helpline at 1-866-710-7848 for help finding a counsellor near you. You can also complete this self-referral form and a Health Link AlbertaQuits Tobacco Counsellor will contact you.

Coverage for stop-smoking medicines


Some Government of Alberta drug and health benefit programs cover stop-smoking medicines like nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) and prescription medicines.

Programs that cover prescription medicines only:

  • Non-Group Blue Cross
  • Palliative Care Health Benefits
  • Senior's Health Benefits

Programs that cover prescription medicines and NRT:

  • Alberta Child Health Benefit
  • Adult Health Benefit
  • Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH)
  • Child and Youth Support
  • Children's Services
  • Income Support
  • Learner Support

Learn more about drug coverage and health benefits under these programs on the Government of Alberta website, or contact your program directly.


The Indigenous Health, Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) program also pays back plan members for some stop-smoking prescription medicines and NRT (gum, inhaler, lozenge, patch). Learn more about the NIHB drug benefit list on the Government of Canada website.

To see this information online and learn more, visit


Related to Quitting Smoking

For 24/7 nurse advice and general health information call Health Link at 811.

Current as of: August 12, 2021

Author: Tobacco, Vaping and Cannabis Program, Alberta Health Services

This material is not a substitute for the advice of a qualified health professional. This material is intended for general information only and is provided on an "as is", "where is" basis. Although reasonable efforts were made to confirm the accuracy of the information, Alberta Health Services does not make any representation or warranty, express, implied or statutory, as to the accuracy, reliability, completeness, applicability or fitness for a particular purpose of such information. Alberta Health Services expressly disclaims all liability for the use of these materials, and for any claims, actions, demands or suits arising from such use.